Chiropractic techniques have been in use for quite some time but it took the intervention of one Daniel David Palmer in 1895 to make the practice recognised as a part of the medical profession.
David Palmer did some spinal adjustment to a deaf janitor who had borne back pain for 17 years.
What’s a chiropractic doctor?
A chiropractic doctor is a health professional who specialises in performing adjustments or manipulations, especially to the spine, in order to correct alignment problems.
The underlying concept is that the spine structure in relation to its functions on the nervous system ultimately affects the health of an individual.
Some of the conditions that a chiropractor can help alleviate include:
- Lower back pain
- Neck pain
- Whiplash related disorders
- Upper and lower extremity joint conditions
Did you know?
- There are over seventy seven thousand chiropractors like San Rafael Chiropractor in the United States of America as per the American Chiropractic Association (ACA).
- Some people think that chiropractic treatment is a complementary health profession but the chiropractors have to undertake four national board exams and be state-licensed before operating.
- On average, a chiropractor earns about $60,000 a year.
- Chiropractors are estimated to treat over 35 million Americans every year.
- Chiropractic care is one of the fastest growing professions in the world, with the National Labour Bureau projecting a growth rate of 17% to 2024.
Why visit a chiropractor?
Here are some reasons why chiropractors in the United States do about a million chiropractic adjustments every business day.
- Most people will at one point suffer some back pain and therefore seek the services of a chiropractor or other health professionals.
- There are significant savings in medical costs when someone opts for a chiropractor rather than a medical doctor. A study found out that replacing a medical doctor for back pains can save over $83 million in health care costs annually.
- Studies have been done to check prescribed medication vs. spinal manipulations and it has been found that a significant number of patients that saw a chiropractor had a greater reduction in lower back pain compared to those who were on medication.
- Chiropractic techniques like cranial-sacral therapy are non-invasive and seek to allow the body to correct itself.
- The Gallup organisation in 1991 reported that a whopping 9 out of 10 chiropractic users feel that the treatment is bearing fruit.
Chiropractic profession in entertainment and media
There have been a number of films portraying chiropractic practice. One of the most common is the movie The Answer man, where Jeff Daniels plays a reclusive author whose back pain makes him crawl on all fours into a chiropractor ‘s office and he is amazed at the almost instantaneous relief he gets from just one session with her.