Back in the days, riding a bike was meant for kids as their way of having fun. I remember a time when all the kids in the block would come from school and get on their bikes for an evening ride around the neighborhood. Bike riding kept the kids happy and busy.
These days, as much as kids still enjoy bike riding, adults have also joined in the fun. However, what’s different now is the fact that most people have turned to cycling not just to have fun but also to keep their health in check. Cycling basically offers many more health benefits to the body than it does for your social life.
Keep reading for some reasons why you should turn to biking for the best health benefits.
- Biking is a cardiovascular exercise – According to an expert’s opinion, most health problems can be treated with simple exercises including biking. Therefore, if you are looking for that perfect exercise that will improve your fitness and your cardiovascular function as well, then biking is the ideal thing to do.
- Biking is good for the joints – As we advance in age, our joints get sore with time. The situation might worsen with time because the older we get the more our bodies get deprived of calcium. To a greater extent, cycling (or biking) is actually beneficial when it comes to keeping those joints strong and functional. In fact, it is one of the best exercises with no pain.
- Biking will keep your leg muscles vigilant – When you are riding a bike, your leg muscles will be active from the beginning to the end. This will definitely keep them in shape and stronger. However, for that ultimate muscular endurance, cycle on a flat terrain. Additionally, just like it is with any other exercise, make sure that you do some stretches before and after your bike ride.
- Biking will increase your balance with time – When riding a bike, you are advised to maintain an upright posture, right? Therefore, for you to achieve that, you must ensure that you find a good balance between your body and the bike. It is your balancing ability that will keep you from falling off. Therefore, by learning to balance on a bike, you will also be improving your overall body balance.
- Biking is a perfect stress relieving exercise – Stress is an inevitable part of our lives, especially if you have kids at home to look after, a demanding job to keep and bills to take care of. Life at this point is not a bed of roses, so stress crawls in from time to time. And because stress does more harm to your overall health, you can kick the stress away by riding a bike after work (or whenever you find time). To make the experience worthwhile, you can invite friends or family to take up the challenge with you.
Now that you know of these amazing health benefits, your next step should be to find the best commuter bike for you and your loved ones. So, to help you with the entire shopping process, here is the complete guide to show you crucial features of a commuter bike that you should consider:
- Mud guards – Mud guards will make your cycling smooth even in the rainy and heavily muddy seasons. Therefore, when choosing your commuter bike, go for one that comes with already installed mudguards.
- Bike Locks – Since this is a commuter bike and you will be commuting with it for the better part of the day, you should ensure that it comes with a functional lock. This will help you keep your bike safe when you are away.
- Hydraulic brakes – No other choice of brakes is as powerful as the hydraulic brakes. If you ride regularly, then this choice of brakes is one that will pay in the long run. The brakes are also highly function for those who love riding even when it is wet outside.
- Larger tires – Bikes that have larger tires are designed for all types of roads – smooth, bumpy, muddy, wet, you name it. Therefore, if you are looking for a commuter bike that will serve you all year round regardless of the situation outside, then bikes with larger tires are just perfect for you.
Light – Let’s face the truth; commuting on a bike is a very tiring thing to do. So, to give you an easier time, ensure that your choice of bike is light enough for your daily commuting needs.