Chiropractic techniques have been in use for quite some time but it took the intervention of one Daniel David Palmer in 1895 to make the practice recognised as a part of the medical profession.
David Palmer did some spinal adjustment to a deaf janitor who had borne back pain for 17 years.
What’s a chiropractic doctor?
A chiropractic doctor is a health professional who specialises in performing adjustments or manipulations, especially to the spine, in order to correct alignment problems.
The underlying concept is that the spine structure in relation to its functions on the nervous system ultimately affects the health of an individual.
Some of the conditions that a chiropractor can help alleviate include:
- Lower back pain
- Neck pain
- Whiplash related disorders
- Upper and lower extremity joint conditions
Did you know?
- There are over seventy seven thousand chiropractors like San Rafael Chiropractor in the United States of America as per the American Chiropractic Association (ACA).
- Some people think that chiropractic treatment is a complementary health profession but the chiropractors have to undertake four national board exams and be state-licensed before operating.
- On average, a chiropractor earns about $60,000 a year.
- Chiropractors are estimated to treat over 35 million Americans every year.
- Chiropractic care is one of the fastest growing professions in the world, with the National Labour Bureau projecting a growth rate of 17% to 2024.
Why visit a chiropractor?
Here are some reasons why chiropractors in the United States do about a million chiropractic adjustments every business day.
- Most people will at one point suffer some back pain and therefore seek the services of a chiropractor or other health professionals.
- There are significant savings in medical costs when someone opts for a chiropractor rather than a medical doctor. A study found out that replacing a medical doctor for back pains can save over $83 million in health care costs annually.
- Studies have been done to check prescribed medication vs. spinal manipulations and it has been found that a significant number of patients that saw a chiropractor had a greater reduction in lower back pain compared to those who were on medication.
- Chiropractic techniques like cranial-sacral therapy are non-invasive and seek to allow the body to correct itself.
- The Gallup organisation in 1991 reported that a whopping 9 out of 10 chiropractic users feel that the treatment is bearing fruit.
Chiropractic profession in entertainment and media
There have been a number of films portraying chiropractic practice. One of the most common is the movie The Answer man, where Jeff Daniels plays a reclusive author whose back pain makes him crawl on all fours into a chiropractor ‘s office and he is amazed at the almost instantaneous relief he gets from just one session with her.
A chiropractor can help better a wide range of conditions such as diabetes, infections, heartburn and a range of chronic conditions. These professionals help relieve pain and symptoms using non-invasive techniques of manipulating the joints and spine. However, you ought to understand that not every chiropractor out there will help you achieve the goals you are looking for. Different doctors use different techniques. It is up to you to select the doctor that uses a technique that works for you. In the search for a chiropractor, below are the top qualities you need to look for.
Chiropractors mostly work with their hands. What this means is that it takes practice for a professional to perfect his technique. In your search for a doctor, you need to only focus on the one that has been in the practice for years. There is only so much that professional training can offer. The skill level of the practitioner depends on his hands-on experience.
Another important quality a chiropractor should have is strong communication skills. He should be able to communicate well with patients. This means that he must have remarkable listening skills so that he can understand the unique needs of his patients. He should also have great speaking skills. These will help him explain medical terms to a patient in such a manner that the patient gets a full understanding of the treatment plan. The last thing you want is to work with a professional who forces you into things and tends to ignore your wishes.
The best chiropractor like http://chiropractorrenonv.net/ will show empathy. He will be able to understand the plight of a patient in relation to the pain and other symptoms. It is the empathy that enables him to put his patient at ease as well as instill trust throughout the treatment. The right doctor should make you feel comfortable working with him. The best practitioner will also focus solely on the patient he is treating. He will also create an environment for relaxed treatment and focus on an individual patient’s treatment plan. The treatment he offers should be tailored to an individual patient.
Great manual coordination
Is the chiropractor good with his hands? This is the question you should ask at this point. Whether he will be using his hands or instruments during the treatment, the right chiropractor has to be good with his hands.
Does the chiropractor show passion for the practice? How passionate the practitioner is will greatly impact his practice. A passionate chiropractor will be very knowledgeable, believe wholeheartedly in the chiropractic practice and also show humility. Work with a professional whoenjoys staying on top of research and chiropractic techniques.
Put you at ease
On your first visit, you may not know what to expect. This may cause you to be nervous. A good chiropractor will put you at ease. He will have a gentle disposition and make you feel comfortable throughout the treatment.
These are the main qualities you need to look for when searching for a chiropractor. Always settle for the chiropractor you feel most comfortable working with.