CrossFit was founded in the early 2000s and in just a few years, it became one of the most popular fitness movements in the world. The reason why it is so popular is because it revolves around a supportive tight knit community, who can’t help but spread the word about this amazing training program. The workouts typically take place in certified gyms, but the purpose of the program is to teach you to work out in any environment, so that you never have an excuse to skip a training session. If you are considering joining a CrossFit gym, there are a few things that you must know first.
To say that CrossFit is intense would be an understatement, as it is in fact the most intense training program in the world. It will basically push you to train like a professional athlete, so it is no wonder that this is the preferred training program of military and law enforcement officers. The program focusses on high intensity functional movement exercises inspired by strength, gymnastics and cardio workouts. Nonetheless, don’t let the intensity of these workouts scare you, as CrossFit is suitable for beginners as well. At certified gyms, you will be guided by professional trainers that will help you build a workout program that suits your current fitness level, while constantly monitoring your performance and your progress.
The main goal of the program is to prepare any individual for any type of intense physical activity. To do this, the program focusses on improving several key elements: the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, stamina, strength, flexibility, speed, power, agility, coordination, balance and accuracy.
- Diversity – These workouts are very versatile, and you will find yourself working out for months without doing the same routine twice. Due to this versatility, the program will help you perform daily physical tasks better, whether we are talking about moving furniture around the house, or taking part in intense athletic competitions. The workouts will train all your major muscle groups, and they will teach your body how to perform different ranges of movement. Overall, it will make you healthier and it will give you a better control of your body.
- Motivation– Unlike other training programs that get boring after a while, CrossFit will always keep you engaged, so that you never lose motivation. First of all, you will be motivated by the fact that you will see results very fast, and you will learn to take pride in your performances. Secondly, the diverse exerciseskeep you in a constant state of anticipation, looking forward for the challenges that the next workout will bring. Last but not least, you can count on the trainers and the rest of the gym members to support and guide you when things get tough.
- Quick weight loss – If you are looking for a fast way to lose weight, ditch the treadmill and get on the CrossFit bandwagon, because this is the fastest way to lose weight. HIIT workouts burn a lot more fat in way less time than normal cardio workouts.
- Lean muscles – As it involves a lot of strength training, CrossFit is great for building muscles. However, what makes it truly great is that due to its functional movements, it builds muscles in just the right places, avoiding the unnatural bodybuilder look.
- Convenient –Due to its popularity, CrossFit gyms are can be found in most places in the world. If you live in a busy area of a big city, you can choose between several gyms. For example, there are several Gyms near Grand Central Station, so you can choose the one that best suits your needs. With so many options, you have no excuse for missing a workout.
On account of its intensity, CrossFit poses the same risks as sports such as weightlifting and gymnastics, with focus on rhabdomyolysis and musculoskeletal injuries. However, these risks are valid for any form of high intensity exercises, and there are several ways in which you can prevent injuries. For starters, as a beginner, you should only work out in a certified gym, so that a professional can supervise you and make sure that you are working out in the right posture. Moreover, if you suffer from serious health problems, discuss with your physician and see whether there are any exercises that could pose a serious risk to your well-being.