If you suffer from constant headaches or migraines, rest assured that you are not alone. About 9 out of 10 Americans complain about their headaches. Sometimes, these are occasional, throbbing, dull, and sometimes frequent causing debilitating nausea and pain. So what do you do when you suffer from an annoying, pounding headache? Do you just grit your teeth and hope it gets okay on its own? Or lie down waiting and hoping the pain fades away. Do you know there is a better alternative?
Research shows that spinal manipulation is one of the primary treatments that help to tackle the occurrence of migraines and headaches. It is possibly the most effective pain management option for neck originating headaches, and tension headaches. Research also shows that the interventions used commonly in chiropractic care help to improve the outcomes for the treatment of chronic and acute neck pain. Kroll Care chiropractic care with spinal manipulation helps to improve migraine’s as well as cervicogenic headaches.
Possible Types of Headaches
Headaches could be of different types, but three make it to the top list of common headaches, including:
- A migraine headache: such headaches occur on one side of the head and totally debilitating. This pain can sometimes be felt on both sides as well, or you will feel it shifting from one side to another. Often, acute sensitivity to light, food smell, noise, and nausea accompanies the pain. Sometimes, headaches serve as warning signs that a migraine is set to explode in a few minutes or hours in your head.
- A cervicogenic headache: this type of pain is one in the head you may find hard to pinpoint or locate. It could feel as though it is in your eye region, back of the head, forehead, and sides or all over the head at the same time. Sometimes, it also gives the feeling as though it is on one side of the head, both or shifts from one side to the other.
- A tension headache: such headaches feel as though something is trying to squeeze your head especially at the back of the head, forehead or at the temples. Such pain is often dull and constant, and not aggravated by any mental or physical activity. However, when such headaches become chronic, they recur at regular intervals of about three to six months with discomfort going up to the highest levels.
So what do you do when you are afflicted by any one of these weakening pains? Most people turn to over the counter painkillers with the hope that they would resolve the problem. About 5% of all these headaches are underlying symptoms of conditions like anemia, insomnia, blood sugar etc. While the remaining 95% are primary headaches, i.e. not caused by any disease and need to be tackled as standalone conditions.
What Causes Recurring Headaches?
The list of reasons that trigger or cause these primary headaches can be very long. However, here are the most common causes:
- Dehydration: Dehydration can lead to excruciating headaches, especially when you are in the midst of strenuous physical or mental activity. It is advisable that you drink as much as -8 glasses of water every day. Depending on the climate, the numbers of glasses can increase.
- Bad Posture: Actually, the mother of all problems is bad posture. You will find that every human being suffers from numerous conditions that bad posture like sitting or standing cause. This is also one of the major causes of headaches and majority of people who sit for prolonged hours on their working desks experience this. Hence, it is best that you try to stand or move around for as much as thirty minutes to do some light stretching exercises. You can rotate your head and do exercises that involve your back and neck region.
- Vigorous Exercise: if you are into heavy duty, this can be one of the causes of your recurring headaches. You can try low-level exercises such as walking or light aerobics.
Chiropractic Care is What You Need
When you experience such pain, you need to stop relying on OTC (over the counter pain killers) and choose a chiropractic specialist to diagnose the problem and carry out necessary tests. Majority cases show that cervical trauma is a leading cause of headaches, especially migraines.
Displacement of the vertebra or pressure on the nerves causes by injury to the neck can result in headaches. It is not necessary to have suffered a violent injury, this is something that can also happen over time owing to bad posture while standing, sitting and sleeping too.
When you choose chiropractic care, this helps to align your spinal cord and free any tension caused by displaced or twisted vertebra. Studies also show that chiropractic care is quite an effective one for the treatment of chronic migraines and headaches, especially when other treatment plans don’t respond well to all the medicines.