Elder care is an honor and a great responsibility. Understanding common occurrences that can happen within caring for the elderly is extremely important for their wellbeing and safety. Arm yourself with the knowledge needed to tackle things as they come up.
One of the most common ailments is bruising in elderly men’s or women’s skin.
We will go over some signals of when to get ahold of a doctor. As well as things that can be done at home to ease the pain. Of course, it is always best to verify any kind of home treatment with your doctor.
When to get a hold of a doctor
- Get a hold of a doctor if the bruising seems to happen out of nowhere and the reason can’t be traced.
- Get a hold of a doctor if you notice that the bruising has increased. Meaning that it has spread, and maybe have gotten deeper in color.
- Get a hold of a doctor if the bruising appears to be near the eye. This is especially important if you noticed that your loved one is experiencing vomiting, nausea, or dizziness. You want to make sure there was no head injury.
- Get a hold of a doctor or rush to the emergency, if you are concerned that the bruising is because of a fracture or broken bone.
- Get a hold of the doctor if you notice that a bruise does not lessen within a two-week period. Usually, a bruise should disappear within a 3 to 4 week period. If that is not happening, it might be an indication that there’s something deeper going on than what meets the eye.
If you happen to notice that a bruise spreads across a large area of a foot or leg be sure to keep it elevated for around 24 hours.
There are times that bruising can bring swelling in or around the area of the bruise. To reduce the swelling apply a cold compress every 20 minutes or so. Avoid using the cold compress without it being wrapped in a thin towel.
If the bruising is causing unbearable pain you may administer a pain reliever such as Tylenol. A doctor should advise on the best-suited pain relief medication that should be used in a situation like this.
Apple cider vinegar has been on the radar in recent years for a number of health usages. When it comes to a bruise, it can break up blood clots in the bruised area. It is best to dilute it with some warm water and then use it as a compress.
Aloe vera is a wonderful option. It is a miracle worker for its effectiveness on the skin. The healing properties within the aloe vera help to speed up the healing of bruising. There are no special instructions, just apply to the skin lavishly.
Essential oils are also a great option for bruising in the elderly if one enjoys the potency of the scents. The best essential oils to help with bruising would be lavender, rosemary, and frankincense. These oils are great because they bring a sense of relaxation and pain relief.
It is best to use a cool washcloth as the compress, and dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil as to not cause irritation to the skin.
When it comes to elderly Care one important thing to remember, is to follow your gut feeling. If you don’t feel like any home remedy will help with the issue, go to the doctor. If you feel like there’s a deeper issue going on, go to the doctor.