Our fast-paced modern lifestyles can take a toll on our health. From financial struggles, political strife and workplace challenges, stress seems to pop up at every turn. Each year, an increasing number of people develop serious stress-related illnesses such as high blood pressure, depression and gastrointestinal problems. Fortunately, we have tools to help combat stress. Studies have shown that regular meditation and yoga practices can greatly reduce the negative effects of our often stress-filled lives.
Effects of Excessive Cortisol on the Body
Our human bodies come equipped with remarkably effective systems to ensure our survival. We have developed a “fight or flight” response that allows us to redirect the body’s resources so that we can quickly escape dangerous situations like encounters with predators. Our bodies release the stress hormone, cortisol, which floods the bloodstream with glucose, increases the heart rate, and suppresses the immune and digestive systems. Cortisol prepares the brain and the large muscles to react swiftly, so that we can combat or flee life-threatening situations.
Luckily, these days most of us aren’t faced with nature’s predators on a regular basis. However, our bodies often perceive everyday stressors such as traffic jams or economic problems as serious threats to our wellbeing. This can leave us with elevated cortisol levels that can lead to unhealthy conditions such as:
- Weight gain
- Anxiety and depression
- Heart disease
- Digestive problems
Stress-Busting Yoga Online Classes with Glo
Fortunately, we have some tools that can help to lower the unhealthy effects of stress. Regular meditation, Pilates and yoga practices reduce the amount of cortisol in our bodies. However, sometimes trying to fit standard yoga classes into our busy schedules can also be stressful.
With Glo online yoga, you can combat stress from home or work anytime that’s convenient for you. Glo offers members over 3000 classes in a variety of relaxing forms such as:
- Meditation- Your Glo membership includes access to meditation classes that specialize in breathwork, mindfulness, chanting and guided meditations.
- Yin yoga- Yin yoga often includes leisurely forward bends that have a calming effect on the nervous system.
- Pilates- Originally formulated for ballet dancers, pilates not only provides a stress-busting workout, but these classes enhance your flexibility and improve your yoga practice.
- Tao Yin- Associated with Traditional Chinese Medicine, Tao Yin Yoga works to balance the Qi in the body which helps to reduce excessive cortisol levels.
- Vinyasa Yoga- The flowing movements and coordinated breathwork of Vinyasa Yoga help to focus the mind and relieve stress.
- Glo courses- Glo yoga online courses allow you to focus on specific aspects of your practice including stress-relief.
Now you can combat stress with unlimited access to our Pilates, meditation and yoga online classes. Try out Glo’s yoga courses for 15 days with our free trial membership. Once you experience the relaxing effects of Glo yoga online, you can continue your membership for just $18/month. For the price of just one standard yoga class, you get access to stress-busting yoga anytime you want.