The seasoned Virginia Beach car accident lawyers at Swain, Haddad, Morecock, Talbert & Woodward, P.C., have been working for last 30 years to help ease the stress of their clients. They take on the stress of pursing complex legal cases, so that their clients can relax and focus on healing from their injuries. They explain that when you’ve been in a car accident and need a lawyer, you need to look for some specific things, such as the lawyer’s history of winning settlements, and their ability to regularly communicate with you about your case.
A good car accident lawyer will help you figure out the right source of compensation, help you document your injury, create a strong strategy for filing your claim, and then work to negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf.
But what do you do if you get into a car accident? What steps can you take to ensure the best possible outcome?
Here are a few things you should keep in mind:
- You should search for a doctor as soon as possible: Even if you don’t need to take an ambulance to the hospital after the crash, it is still a good idea to see a doctor as soon as you can. Many injuries, such as concussions, don’t show up until later, and by then, it is harder to get medical documentation linking the injury to the crash.
- You should call the police right away: the officers will create a detailed accident report that will be important later for insurance or personal injury claims.
- You should get the information of the other driver: You’ll want to get the other driver’s phone number, name, insurance number and vehicle number. Don’t admit fault. Just have the information available for your insurance adjuster.
- You should get the contact information of any eyewitnesses: eyewitness accounts are important for insurance claims, and they are also important if you need to file a personal injury claim. As Houston car wreck lawyer Tim Tate explains, your attorney can call the eyewitnesses for statements that can help your case.
- You should take pictures of the crash scene and any injuries: If you are not able to do this, ask another person to take the pictures and send them to you. Any documentation can be invaluable when you’re pursuing an insurance claim or personal injury claim.
- You should document any doctor’s appointments, missed work, pain, etc.: It is a good idea to keep a journal with any records of medical treatments, missed workdays, pain, or anything else that you have to deal with as a result of your injuries.
The lawyers at Jebaily law, who created the Florence SC car accident checklist to help drivers understand the steps to take after a car crash, explain that if you find yourself injured after a car crash, you need to seek out legal and medical help right away.
South Carolina truck accident attorney Joel Hamilton agrees, explaining that waiting too long to get legal assistance is one of the biggest mistakes people make after being involved in a crash with a truck. The longer you wait to get medical and legal help, the harder it is to prove that your injuries have caused you significant financial losses.
If you get into a car accident, don’t wait to get help. Follow the steps above, and then consult a doctor about your injuries. If they are serious, get in touch with a lawyer. Generally, car accident lawyers offer the first meeting for free, so you have nothing to lose.