What is chiropractic treatment?
This is treatment as well as prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system plus all the effects of these disorders on the nervous system and on general health. Chiropractic adjustments work by helping place your body in the right position allowing it to heal itself. This kind of treatment reduces the body’s stress that is placed on the immune system, freeing up the energy to be used in disease prevention.
Chiropractors pride themselves on using a natural drugless approach in helping their patients reach and maintain their health goals. This treatment is based on the principle upon which the entire body has an innate ability to heal itself when kept under the right conditions.
It is the chiropractor’s job to help create the right environment that facilitates inner healing while ensuring safety. Did you know that the nervous system controls every organ and cell in your body? Therefore, chiropractors focus on the health of the spine being properly aligned. If they realize it has shifted out of its proper place, adjustments are used to help bring it back to the right position.
Why should you get a chiropractic adjustment?
If you ask chiropractors like the Upper Cervical Family Chiropractic San Angelo, they will tell you that the spine is the most important part of the body that needs to be taken good care of. You will need chiropractic help if:
- A vertebra has gone out of place because of a fall or a slip.
- There are tight back muscles or trigger points that may pull the vertebrae out of place.
- There is any sign of joint swelling that is caused by damage to the intervertebral joint.
- The entire joint is misaligned due to poor posture.
- There is an inflammatory response that is caused by poor diet, lack of pure water or psychological stress.
- You have been suffering from osteoporosis or any degenerative changes of the spine or the intervertebral discs.
Why is it important to have good posture?
Good posture is everything to your body. The natural habit of sitting down the entire day does a lot of damage to your spine and posture more than when you move around. After a whole day sitting down, very few people will take the time to stretch properly, fix their posture or engage in any physical activity.
The hunched over lifestyle that is also very popular in today’s lifestyle causes straining on the neck due to the forward head posture. Did you know that in this kind of stretch, your neck bears an extra 10 pounds of stress?
Chiropractors have observed that many of their patients regularly carry their heads two or three inches forward which means they are putting an extra 20-30 pounds of pressure on their neck. This is dangerous for the overall health of your spine because the strain spills over to many other parts of the body.
What are the benefits of using chiropractic treatment?
To understand chiropractic treatment, it would be ideal to see the benefits of using it in order to make an informed decision. Here are some of the benefits of using this kind of treatment for your spine.
- Brings relief and healing to your back – Compared to most medical treatment, the chiropractic adjustments are the most reliable. The European Spine Journal has published findings from their clinical trials exploring how chiropractic treatment resulted in 72% success rate in treating Sciatica. Physical therapy on the other hand only had a 20% success rate in treating this condition. Patients who suffer from sciatica and use chiropractic adjustment experience less days of severe pain compared to other types of treatment given.
- Treats lower back pain and neck pain – Most patients who have had neck pain or the lower back pain have indicated their satisfaction with the chiropractic care that they have received. This method eases the pain faster and eliminates the tension that the rest of the body is experiencing from the pain. Neck pain and lower back is known to result from poor posture from the daily life you go through. If left untreated from long, it turns into chronic pain that stresses other body organs. It is important to understand that chiropractic adjustment gives faster relief and healing from sore neck muscles that have been left untreated for long. This treatment method does not just heal but it also puts the muscles and the spine back in their proper position.
- Treats and heals migraines and headaches that are a caused by tension – Tension headaches and migraines are some of the most common conditions that most people face especially in the 21st These are easily managed by chiropractors and the results so far have been amazing. These headaches are not just cured, but their recurrence is reduced up to 0%. Compared to medical treatments that require use of lots of medication and pain relievers, the chiropractic treatment has lasting results.
- Treats colic acid reflux and ear infections in children – Does that mean that chiropractic treatment can also be used on children? Yes, chiropractic care is a viable alternative to the care given to children suffering from colic and congruent problems. The chiropractic adjustments treat these problems and provide a lasting solution. When it comes to ear infections, a few visits to the chiropractor relives the pain and significantly improves the condition. Notable improvement can be seen within two to three visits, with total resolution of the symptoms within three to four months of care.
- Aligns the nerves located in the gut and brain – These nerves experience a lot of sensitivity to any neurological insult that may be caused by vertebral subluxations. When the chiropractor realigns the spine and reduces pressure that is placed on certain nerves, the gut brain connection is greatly improved. A healthy happy gut at any age, whether in children or adults, boosts the immune function and reduces inflammation as well as pain in many other parts of the body.
- Treats neurological conditions – The 21st Century medical world has exciting research being conducted through MRI scans that shows how the upper cervical adjustments are affecting various other brain conditions. The MRI scans are revealing the cerebral palsy spinal fluid and improved blood flow after a chiropractic treatment. There is proof that the use of chiropractic treatment to help correct the vertebral subluxation that leads to seizures and epilepsy is possible in today’s world. The conclusion made from this study shows that chiropractic care represents a successful non-pharmaceutical healthcare approach for pediatric epileptic patients.
- Stabilizes the blood pressure – It has been noted that there is a clear relation between hypertension and upper cervical chiropractic adjustment. This treatment has the ability to stabilize the blood pressure just like the hypertension drugs. The more exciting news is that the effects of just one chiropractic treatment lasted over 6 months. This is exciting news because the body is able to create a homeostatic balanced atmosphere when the vertebral subluxations are all eliminated.
- Prevents surgeries – Ask anyone who chose this treatment, especially before going for any surgery, and they will tell you their recovery was much better than their operated counterparts. Chiropractic treatment has been long accepted as a natural solution to many health problems and a natural way to prevent back surgery. The American Medical Association recently published information about lower back pain guidelines and suggested that people should try a chiropractor first before resorting to surgery.
- Repairs frozen shoulder – Pain and discomfort are the two very disturbing problems when it comes to a frozen shoulder. Many people do not know how to ease these two without using the many drugs that are prescribed to them. Chiropractic treatment brings in a 90% of improvement within a short period of time, something that the normal medicine has not been able to do given the same amount of time.
- Encourages athletic performance – Most informed athletes will only visit a chiropractor instead of a normal doctor when hurt. This is because this treatment is highly effective in setting the muscles back to the right position without harming any other part of the body. It also eliminates any other stress caused by the pain or sore muscles. Chiropractic also addresses sports injuries in areas like the lower back, shoulder, hips and more. This treatment helps reduce inflammation, enhance joint function and reduce pain. It also helps improve range of motion, minimizing recovery time and maximizing the athletic performance.
Now that you have learned the benefits of using this kind of treatment, it is wise to visit a chiropractor and ask any questions you may have before you start the treatment. Remember to ask direct questions that concern your problem rather than general questions. The clearer you are with your chiropractor, the better services you receive. Even if you have an old problem with your back and you have had it checked by the doctor before, you can still take it to the chiropractor for treatment.